Fishing Information, Rules and Maps
The Izaak Walton Hotel fishery on the River Dove extends upstream from the junction with the River Manifold which is in the field opposite the entrance drive to the hotel, below St Mary’s Bridge. The upper boundary is at the imposing Ilam Rock, which is the pinnacle of rock standing where there is a footbridge across the river – roughly 3 miles upstream from St Mary’s Bridge. The Hotel bank is the Staffordshire bank, or the left hand bank looking upstream.
The River Dove is a fast-flowing and well-oxygenated limestone stream and this makes it an ideal habitat for a great many invertebrate species. Large Dark Olives can get the season off to a flying start from opening day. And before the infamous mayfly hatch of late May and early June there is a good chance of hectic sport to the hawthorn fly. Caddis and Blue Winged Olives provide the bulk of the summer sport and there are huge numbers of freshwater shrimps to keep the fish well fed during the autumn and winter.
The Hotel’s water contains a good head of mainly wild brown trout and some beautiful grayling. No stocking takes place and so catch and release is practiced to ensure a self-sustaining population of wild fish.
The Hotel operates an exclusive fly fishing syndicate of 30 rods but is also able to offer day tickets to guests and visiting anglers. These are priced at £40 during the trout season and £20 during the grayling season. A maximum of four day tickets per day are available. All syndicate enquiries to John Tyzack (email@example.com).
Guiding and tuition services are provided by John Tyzack. John is a professional guide and instructor and also an England International. He has fished the River Dove for many years and has a wealth of knowledge and experience. John can be contacted here. www.johntyzack.co.uk
- All anglers shall at all times fish according to the spirit of our sport.
- Fishing is at own risk, so please take care – consider wearing a flotation device.
- Fly fishing only (dry, wet or nymph) with a maximum of two flies.
- All flies to be barbless.
- No fish may be taken; this is a catch and release fishery.
- Wading is allowed, up to but not past the centre of the river.
- All anglers must carry an Environment Agency Rod Licence.
- Vehicles can be parked at the hotel car park or at the Dovedale car park. (The service road to the Stepping Stones is for emergency vehicles only.)
- The gate key must be returned to the hotel reception after fishing.
- At the end of the day please make a return on your days fishing in the Hotel’s fishing book.
Izaac Walton Hotel, Dovedale, Derbyshire, DE6 2AY – Tel: +44 (0)1335 350981